- How do I enroll my child?
To complete an application, call the Family Service Worker in the school district you reside in to schedule a registration appointment. An application packet must be completed prior to enrollment. In completing the enrollment process you will need to bring the following items with you?
- Proof of Income: Tax return, W-2, Social Security/SSI Award letter, verification of K-TAP, Unemployment Benefits, Child Support, and/or Student Financial Aid (verification of income for the year prior to application or the prior 12 months of income needs to be provided)
- Proof of birth of the child: Hospital Record or Certified Birth Certificate
- Child's Social Security Card
- Proof of Insurance: A copy of medical card or private insurance.
- Custody Papers (if applicable)
All children who are enrolled are required to have a current Well Child physical and immunizations from the state of Kentucky before they can enter the classroom. In addition some school districts may also require the Kentucky Vision Exam.
- What are the income guidelines for enrollment?
To qualify for the Head Start or Early Head Start program your family's income must be at or below the 100% Federal Poverty Guideline. To qualify for the state KERA four year old program your family income must be at or below the 150% Federal Poverty Guideline. Children with disabilities qualify regardless of income.
- Must my child be potty trained before starting preschool?
No. Staff will work with you and your child on developmentally appropriate potty training activities once you child enters the program.
- What health screenings will my child receive?
While in the program they will receive screening to assess their development, vision, hearing, social emotional, and speech abilities. They will also receive a dental exam from a professional dentist. If concerns are identified they will be followed up with referrals and or treatments as indicated. Children will receive free meals while in the classroom which equal 1/3 to 2/3 of their daily nutritional requirements. The combinations of a breakfast, lunch and or a snack will depend on the school district as well as the length of the classroom session. All these service are provided at no cost to the family.
- What if I need help with my child's behavior?
Murray Head Start contracts with Early Childhood Behavior Consultants who are Licensed Psychological Associates. These consultants are available to provide services to children and their families as well as to staff. With informed parental consent, children may receive one-to-one services. For more information, contact the Family Service Worker in your local Head Start office.
- What if my child has a disability?
If you suspect that your child has a disability, please contact the Head Start office in your school district. Murray Head Start contracts with local school districts and with First Steps to provide services to children with special needs.
- What will my child learn in class?
- How can I contact my child's teacher?
- How do I volunteer in the classroom?
The Head Start/Early Head Start program provides many opportunities for parents to be involved in the program. When parents share their time and skills with us, they make our program stronger.
Things parents can do:
- Volunteer in the classroom (read a book, help with art or other activities, etc.)
- Work with their child at home on activities from the classroom curriculum
- Attend Parent/Teacher conferences
- Help with field trips or classroom parties
- Attend Early Head Start socializations
- Attend family social events
- Complete Home Training packets
- Help the Family Services staff copy and put together materials when needed
- Keep up the Parent Involvement Notebook
- Help the EHS Home Visitor clean the office space
- Talk to the EHS Home Visitor to see what things she may need help with
- Serve on the Parent Involvement Advisory Committee
- Service on the Health Services Advisory Committee
- How do I apply for a job?
- When is the next Policy Council meeting?
- How can I get a copy of the Performance Standards?